Nowadays, most of the HP printers are manufactured in such a way that they do they do not support duplicate or refilled cartridges. HP printers are smart enough to know that when a cartridge is going to be empty. Thus, when you refill a cartridge instead of replacing it with the new one, then HP printer does not recognize refilled ink cartridge.
Although most of the people do it just for the purpose of saving a few bugs, their attempt seems to go in vain when they are unable to take any printout with the refilled cartridge.
However, there are certain steps you can take in order to make your printer recognize the refilled cartridges. So, if you are also having a query about how to get an HP printer to recognize refilled cartridges, then you may read the steps given in the solutions section.
Note: this is only possible if you apply some trick and fool HP into knowing that you have installed new and genuine HP ink cartridges.
Try this if HP printer does not recognize refilled ink cartridge
Since the cartridges in HP printer do not have their self memory, thus to make it recognize the refilled cartridge, you should continue to follow the steps given below:
- At the primary stage, remove the available ink cartridge from the printer.
(To do so, first turn off the printer, open the lid from where you access the cartridges, flip the cover of the cartridge as well, and then take out the cartridge gently.)
- In the empty cartridge, refill the ink that you have by following the instructions given on the refill kit.
- If you have an extra genuine HP cartridge, then put this one in your printer.
- Power on your printer and allow it to recognize the cartridge you have just placed.
- Now, print an alignment page using the same cartridge.
- Remove the same cartridge from its place and insert one more extra cartridge in it.
- Again, wait until the printer prints an adjustment page.
- Remove the cartridge using the same procedure that you used for the first one.
- Finally, insert the cartridge that you have refilled and your printer will recognize it.
- Make sure you always have that extra cartridge if you want to use this trick again.
HP Printer won’t recognize the new ink cartridge
If you have replaced your old and empty ink cartridge from your printer and HP fails to recognize it even if the new one is genuine, then you should insert the old cartridge in it once again. Once you do so, you should leave your printer idle for 10 minutes. Now, take the old cartridge out and then replace it with the new one and this shall definitely once you restart your printer. If not, you need to reset your HP printer or get help from HP Printer Support.
If you can, then you must use genuine HP cartridges if you do not want to see yourself in a troublesome situation.
Common Question/ Answers
How to override HP ink cartridge error?
If you are seeing an error related to the HP ink cartridge, then you should check that you have properly removed all the plastic covering from them. Else try these steps:
- Remove the available cartridges and turn off the printer.
- Let the printer stay idle for 10-15 minutes and turn it on.
- Insert the problematic cartridges once again.
- Now, power off the printer for a minute while it is plugged in.
- If you still face the issue, install the cartridges one by one.
How to disable HP cartridge protection?
In case your printer fails to recognize the cartridges, then you can try to disable the HP cartridge protection by following these steps:
- Open your web browser and type your printer’s IP address in the search bar.
- Now, go to the ‘Network setup’ section.
- You will see the webserver settings on your screen.
- Now, click on the ‘Settings’ menu.
- On the left-side, select ‘HP Cartridge Protection’.
- Select ‘Disable’ > ‘Apply’ / ‘Save’.
How do you reset HP ink cartridges after refill?
If you wish to reset the HP ink cartridge after refilling it, then you can follow these steps:
- First, remove your ink cartridges.
- Then, power off your printer for a minute.
- Power on the printer again.
- Repeat this procedure four more times.
- With this, your printer’s memory would be empty.
Can you use remanufactured ink cartridges in HP printers?
In case after inserting the remanufactured ink cartridge, you see a message on your screen saying “Protected HP Cartridges”, then you won’t be able to use this cartridge. This means that the particular cartridge is manufactured to be used on a particular model of HP Printer, not yours.
How do you trick HP ink cartridges?
- Remove the cartridge and turn it over to access the copper contacts.
- In the second row, place a small piece of tape on the seventh copper contact.
- Command the printer to print an alignment page.
- Now, remove the cartridge.
- Repeat the same process and apply the tape on the sixth copper contact in the same row.
- Print an alignment page once again.
- Remove the tape and insert the cartridges again.
How do I fix an HP printer cartridge error?
If you are seeing an error after installing your HP printer, then you should follow the steps given below:
- Ensure that you have purchased the cartridges from the same region as your printer.
- Verify the numbers of the cartridge by going to the HP Support store.
- If it is fine and you still see the error, reset your printer.
- Make sure you are using genuine HP ink cartridges.