HP printers are mainly known for their impressive features that result in smooth performance. It is also very easy for users to solve any error that occurs while printing their documents using any model of HP printer. Several users have reported HP incompatible printer cartridge error which occurs due to any defect in the cartridge of your printer. Whenever such an error occurs on your device, find the root cause and effective methods to get out of it. Here, in this article, we have mentioned what HP printer cartridge error is, what are its causes, and how you can fix it.
What Causes HP Incompatible Print Cartridge Error?
There are several causes for the incompatible cartridge error on your HP printer model, like HP Officejet 4650. Mainly the issue arises due to the presence of dirty metal contacts in your printer, low ink of your cartridge, etc. A few other causes of the HP printer cartridge error are:
- Damaged Metal Contacts: There are multiple metal contacts present in the ink or toner cartridge that manage communication between the cartridge and your printer. Dirty or damaged metal contacts break the communication and make you unable to print anything.
- Incorrect Installation of Toner Cartridge: You might have put color ink or a toner cartridge into the incorrect slot, which in result causes issues during printing. The incompatible model of the cartridge in your printer is also main reason behind this issue.
- Outdated version of HP Printer Software: This is the main cause due to which the compatible toner does not work properly with your printer. Outdated versions of software installed in your system can cause bugs and thus stop the compatible cartridges from working. In the HP Photosmart C4480, incompatible print cartridge error mainly occurs due to this reason.
How Do I Fix the HP Printer Incompatible Cartridge Error?
You can use HP printer support drivers to fix the cartridge error in HP Printers. There are several other methods, like updating the firmware, removing protective covers and strips, cleaning the metal contacts, etc. that you can try to bring your printer in an error-free state. Check the detailed HP Incompatible Print Cartridge error fixes from below:
Method 01: Reset the Printer Memory
- Resetting the printer’s memory and replacing the cartridge with the new one will definitely fix all your printer cartridge-related issues. All you have to do is:
- Gently remove the cartridge from your printer and put it on a clean surface.
- Then turn off your HP printer for a while.
- Remove all the power cables attached to your printer so that it may not be turned ON automatically from the source.
- Keep the printer in the idle state for some time and then plug it into the power source.
- Now, smoothly insert the new cartridge into the printer.
- At last, turn ON your printer by pressing its “Power” button.
This fix will resolve the cartridge error in printer models like HP Officejet 8710 and many others. If the error message still appears, try the next troubleshooting method.
Method 02: Clean Metal Contacts
Follow the steps given below to clean metal contacts in order to resolve a range of errors just like the HP OfficeJet printer cartridge error:
- At first, shut down your printer and remove all the cables connecting it and power socket.
- Remove the toner cartridge and place it on a clean surface.
- Check inside whether the metal contacts are properly attached to the cartridge.
- Use a dry cloth to clean the contact points from the printer and on the cartridge.
Once done, put the toner cartridge in its place and turn ON the printer to check if the issue is resolved.
Method 03: Always Use Compatible Cartridge
In this fix, we recommend you to check whether the cartridge you are using is compatible or not with your HP printer. Always purchase the correct version of the toner cartridge for your printer and your desktop. Even if you are purchasing a new drum or maintenance unit, make sure it is also compatible.
In the end, we want to inform you that every day about millions of people face ink cartridge problems. The fixes to the cartridge error are very simple and can be performed without any expert guidance. Just go through the step-by-step instructions given above to fix the error with your HP printers. In case of any technical help, feel free to contact our experienced Customer Care Team. We are available 24/7 for you!